History of Brenham Abstract & Title
Brenham Abstract & Title Co. was formed and registered with the state in 1982 in Washington County, Texas. It was located in a 100
year-old, one story, four-room house at 205 E. Vulcan Street where James Reese Jones, founder of Brenham Abstract and Title practiced law from 1978-1983 before moving his practice to an adjacent building, which is where the current office is now located. Investors at the time were James "Jay" Reese Jones, Bill Nutt, Chuck Machemehl, Tieman Dippel Jr., and Richard Nuffer.
In 1994, the title company moved to a larger building on Alamo Street where it remained for 20 years. Jay Jones was the majority owner of the title company with various partners until his passing in 2005. As a minority partner at that time, Marshall Harrell III was actively operating Burleson County Title in Caldwell, Texas. The other partners of Brenham Abstract and Title approached Marshall about purchasing the majority interest of the title company, which he did in the beginning of 2007. Since that time the partners have been Marshall and his wife, Leslie Harrell, Sally Jones (Jay's wife), LJ Lacina (attorney), Catherine Kenjura (attorney) and Bill Nutt
In 2014, Brenham Abstract relocated the title company to the 1936 building at 205 North Market Street where Jones had practiced law from 1983 - 2005.